Friday, May 11, 2007

Buy Fair Trade Coffee




While walking up 6th Avenue near West 4th Street, I passed through a swarm of elementary school aged kids handing out this flyer promoting fair trade coffee. The flyer is clearly designed by kids and they looked like a class group. I wondered if their teacher had put them up to this.


It reminded me me of when I was about to graduate from elementary school and all of the 6th grade classes were to perform at a culmination ceremony. This was the early 70s and our teacher had us singing hippy anthems like "Blowing in the Wind" and "If I Had a Hammer".

I knew that there was something wrong with this attempt to indoctrinate me with a left-wing political agenda. I was a punk rock kid before I even knew what punk rock was. My family left for our summer vacation before the ceremony happened so I didn't have to participate.

No comments: