Monday, September 03, 2007

P.S.1 Courtyard

P.S.1 MoMA in Long Island City is one of my favorite places to see art, second only to the Whitney. Here's evidence that their interests and mine are in alignment.

The courtyard in front of the museum is covered with a canopy supported by wooden poles that look very much like the ones that carry telephone lines. Affixed to these poles are flyers that span a few decades.
This flyer, for the early 80s SoCal punk band the Plugz, was a bit of nostalgia for me. I remember seing those guys back in the day.
.
The same can be said for this one for Black Flag.

The contemporary Oneida get the nod from the art world as well. They played P.S.1 on Saturday, September 1st.

Not all of the flyers were for bands and they all seem to have been picked for their hip factor and graphic design.

I should think about how to organize my flyers into an installation so when I get the phone call from a gallery or institution I'll be ready.

No comments: